Adoption and Children of the Promise
Our first and foremost goal is to be able to reunite the children/infants with their biological families whenever possible. However, there are times when this is not possible. In those situations, we help assist in an adoption. We are not an adoption agency but help facilitate the adoptions of our little ones in Haiti.
IBESR Adoption requirements
- Adoption can be requested jointly by a married and not legally separated heterosexual couple, after five (5) years of marriage and when one of the spouses is at least thirty (30) years old.
- Applications from single men and women aged at least thirty-five (35) years of age are accepted.
- The age of the adoptive parents may not exceed fifty (50) years for the older of the two (2) spouses or a single parent at the time of a referral of a child.
- Does not allow same-sex couples to adopt.
- Both adoptive parents must be at least fourteen (14) years older than the child they intend to adopt.
- Biological and adopted children in the home are acceptable.
- If the adoptive parents already have biological or adopted children, the children must give their opinion if they are eight (8) years old or older.
- Both parents must be able to come to Haiti for 2 weeks after a child’s referral. This is a requirement of the law.
- Once at the time of the child referral by IBESR and then at the end of the process to take your children home.
- IBESR will give priority to special needs children.
- All families when sending their dossiers to Haiti will be put on a waiting list until IBESR decides that the family matches a child who is available for adoption.