Adopt from Haiti
As of 2014, Haiti has been part of the Hague Adoption Convention. If you are interested in adopting a child from Haiti, please contact a Hague approved agency. Based on our experience, we recommend the adoption agencies A Love Beyond Borders or WACAP (World Association for Children and Parents) for US families wanting to adopt. We recommend TDH Canada (Terre des Hommes) for Canadian families wanting to adopt. For information on the process, cost and additional Haiti adoption facts, click here.
Quick adoption facts:
Average cost: $25,000 – $40,000
Average estimated time: 1.5 – 3 years
Average # of adoptions to U.S. families: 100-400/year
If you have any more questions, please contact our adoptions department at email@example.com.
IBESR (Haiti’s department of family and children’s services) adoption requirements
- Adoption can be requested jointly by a married and not legally separated heterosexual couple, after five (5) years of marriage and when one of the spouses is at least thirty (30) years old.
- Applications from single men and women aged at least thirty-five (35) years of age are accepted.
- The age of the adoptive parents may not exceed fifty (50) years for the older of the two (2) spouses or a single parent at the time of a referral of a child.
- Does not allow same-sex couples to adopt.
- Both adoptive parents must be at least fourteen (14) years older than the child they intend to adopt.
- Biological and adopted children in the home are acceptable.
- If the adoptive parents already have biological or adopted children, the children must give their opinion if they are eight (8) years old or older.
- Both parents must be able to come to Haiti for 2 weeks after a child’s referral. This is a requirement of the law.
- Once at the time of the child referral by IBESR and then at the end of the process to take your children home.
- IBESR will give priority to special needs children.
- All families when sending their dossiers to Haiti will be put on a waiting list until IBESR decides that the family matches a child who is available for adoption.
When Seth and I were dating, we talked early on about what we envisioned for a future family. We both wanted several kids. We both...
Hydrocephalus. “A condition in which fluid accumulates in the brain, typically in young children, enlarging the head and sometimes causing brain damage.” A definition that...