Hydrocephalus. “A condition in which fluid accumulates in the brain, typically in young children, enlarging the head and sometimes causing brain damage.” A definition that...
Adopt from Haiti
As of 2014, Haiti has been part of the Hague Adoption Convention. If you are interested in adopting a child from Haiti, please contact a Hague approved agency.
Quick adoption facts:
Average cost: $25,000 – $40,000
Average estimated time: 1.5 – 3 years
Average # of adoptions to U.S. families: 100-400/year
For information on the process, cost and additional Haiti adoption facts, click here.
If you have any more questions, please contact our adoptions department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IBESR (Haiti’s department of family and children’s services) adoption requirements
- Adoption can be requested jointly by a married and not legally separated heterosexual couple, after five (5) years of marriage and when one of the spouses is at least thirty (30) years old.
- Applications from single men and women aged at least thirty-five (35) years of age are accepted.
- The age of the adoptive parents may not exceed fifty (50) years for the older of the two (2) spouses or a single parent at the time of a referral of a child.
- Does not allow same-sex couples to adopt.
- Both adoptive parents must be at least fourteen (14) years older than the child they intend to adopt.
- Biological and adopted children in the home are acceptable.
- If the adoptive parents already have biological or adopted children, the children must give their opinion if they are eight (8) years old or older.
- Both parents must be able to come to Haiti for 2 weeks after a child’s referral. This is a requirement of the law.
- Once at the time of the child referral by IBESR and then at the end of the process to take your children home.
- IBESR will give priority to special needs children.
- All families when sending their dossiers to Haiti will be put on a waiting list until IBESR decides that the family matches a child who is available for adoption.